Skip to main content

Tofu Alfredo

In an effort to reduce our monthly grocery spendings we are going to be eating less meat. Tuesday (my husbands Saturday) I sat down and went over the grocery store flyers to find out what was on sale, and build my menu for the next two weeks based on sale items and reasonably priced foods. 


Tofu was on sale...... 


dun. dun. dun!!!


So, for a dollar I could get a package of tofu if I bought in groups of 3.  I liked the idea of buying this cheap tofu because I was looking for ways to increase our protein while cutting out several "meat meals" a week. But I have NEVER been brave enough to cook tofu. So, I scoured the internet for interesting recipes that I could make with tofu that sounded fun and interesting to make.


And then I came across this recipe: Tofu Alfredo


What a great idea, says I. Alfredo Sauce is one of my loves BUT one that I always feel guilty about because of all the heavy cream and heart clogging factor. 


... and on the menu it went for tonight: Whole Wheat Fettuccini Tofu Alfredo and Sensation Salad


Ingredients:
  • Cooked Whole Wheat Fettuccini
  • 300g (12 oz.) soft tofu, drained
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
  • 1Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1Tbs onion powder
  • salt to taste (or garlic salt)
  • pinch of nutmeg

  • Method:
  • 1. Cook the pasta according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

    2. While the pasta is boiling, place the drained tofu, garlic, both cheeses, olive oil, onion powder, and salt into a blender. Blend until smooth.

    3. Pour mixture into a saucepan. Warm over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add pinch of nutmeg. Stir. TASTE (this is important... never serve food you haven't tasted yourself to check for things you could do to make it taste better)!! Adjust salt to taste.

    4. Toss drained pasta with Alfredo sauce and serve with Alfredo on top. I like to serve it with a little dusting of parmesan.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Weary World Rejoices

The candlelight flickers in my December-darkened living room. Jarred red pillar candles with warm light speckle my piano by number, along with the Christmas cards of cozy families that have begun to criss-cross my living room. Edmund's favourite Christmas album is playing, the one from Charlie Brown and his lovely Christmas special. There is a quiet ache filling this space, and my 8-year-old has said once again, "It doesn't feel like Christmas." And so it has begun. That ache really first began for me when my family of origin moved during fourth grade across the continent from Kelowna, BC (where we lived for a few short months with my grandparents and spent days filled with fun with cousins, and I slept in my auntie's old pink bedroom, sharing a bed with my oldest sister Christi) to a suburb of Detroit, Michigan. I remember that winter and Christmas feeling particularly cold and lonely, as I had spent the warm, bright summer months and early fall in what had alway...

Barren Desert

I was standing in a barren desert surrounded with brown sandy nothingness. All I could see for miles was dry earth, sand, and a couple of tumble weeds. The sky was an eerie yellow color with a faint hint of blue. It was a Dali desert. It made me feel queasy. I must have been standing there for a while before she said to me, "This is the place I love to come and remember that I never have to have children. This is my happy place." I turned to see a friend of mine who I've actually only met in person once. She was guiding me through this desert place gently, smiling. I asked how this could possibly be a happy place for her, that it made me feel nothing but anxiety and nausea. She smiled and said, "This is the path I've chosen." Then, I was alone again, wandering through the sandy meadow, quietly aching inside. When I woke up this morning, I could not get that dream out of my head. So rich in symbolism. So... odd. I told a co-worker about it, after I had be...

Prayer Request

I have a prayer request. I've been having trouble with my heart for the last three months. The medication that I take every day hasn't been regulating my tachycardia problem well enough, and I have gone to the ER 3 times in the last 3 months. Twice they had to give me an IV of some medicine that stopped my heart and restarted it. Since then I found a cardiologist in Houston, who says I need to get a procedure done called an ablation. They go in through a vein with a wire and camera and sensors and travel to your heart and find out what area of your heart is causing the electrical glitch that causes the tachycardia episode. Then they zap that tissue that causes the problem. The procedure should totally cure the problem that I have been struggling with for 13 years. However, our insurance looks like they will only cover maybe 1500 of the 26000 cost, if any at all. Please pray that God would provide a way to pay for this procedure, as it isn't really an option to not have it ...