Skip to main content

Part 1

Burning eyes as I sip my coffee, foot to the gas peddle, I drive down the little mountain road toward the highway lined with apple trees. The day has been filled to the brim with teaching children, and my back seat is filled with tiny ones telling exciting stories. I poured this coffee freshly before I left our school room, as I knew that the thirty minute drive home would be everlasting. The taste of the darkly roasted beans and almond milk fills my mouth, warming my chills away.

Red light.

Slowing before turning onto the highway home, my white minivan stops to the oppressive light, lengthening my commute by 2 entire minutes. I just want to be at home. I want a fresh cup of coffee... I'll call Josh and ask him if he would mind taking a break at the home office to brew a fresh pot... That dear sweet husband... he's been taking care of me since we were 15 and 16 and so in love. No one knew then that 20 years would come and go, and that boy I talked to after school for endless minutes would still be there ready to hear about my day but now with our kids from that school "across the sea" as I like to call it. This endless drive. I'll turn the music up.

Green light. I cross the highway and turn left to merge with the busy traffic.

That apple orchard. It's late November now... this small Canadian town hasn't had any snow. The orchard looks like skeletons against the grey sky, devoid of all of it's lush green leaves and fresh red fruit. Two months ago the air smelled like MacIntosh apples, and the golden light would stream through the forest green leaves, as the view of the valley below gave way to the crystal clear lake.

Not today. The orchard searing its image into my mind, as sense of mourning fills my soul. The work is done, the scene tells me. It's time for rest, and soon the dark earth will be covered with white and the trees will freeze and become brittle. You don't prune apple trees near the impending freeze... the frost will get in there and you'll get a lot of winter die-back, killing off more of the tree. So the trees stand with hands raised upward, ready and waiting for the ice to pierce their flesh and the long hibernation period to begin. As I drive along past the kilometer of barren apple trees, my heart aches for the Spring, when the skeletons will burst forth with white blossoms to feed the honey bees, and the work of producing fruit will begin again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barren Desert

I was standing in a barren desert surrounded with brown sandy nothingness. All I could see for miles was dry earth, sand, and a couple of tumble weeds. The sky was an eerie yellow color with a faint hint of blue. It was a Dali desert. It made me feel queasy. I must have been standing there for a while before she said to me, "This is the place I love to come and remember that I never have to have children. This is my happy place." I turned to see a friend of mine who I've actually only met in person once. She was guiding me through this desert place gently, smiling. I asked how this could possibly be a happy place for her, that it made me feel nothing but anxiety and nausea. She smiled and said, "This is the path I've chosen." Then, I was alone again, wandering through the sandy meadow, quietly aching inside. When I woke up this morning, I could not get that dream out of my head. So rich in symbolism. So... odd. I told a co-worker about it, after I had be

5 Inches From My Tear Streaked Face

I suddenly awoke to my heart beat sky rocketing. It was literally 180-200 beats per minute. I hadn't had a bad dream. I wasn't extra stressed about anything in life. I was 25, 9 months into a brand new marriage, and was living in Houston, Texas surrounded by good art. That morning changed everything. My husband called an ambulance and the paramedics came. I laid on my couch in my living room while they struggled to find a vein to start my IV. Finally, after 5 attempts the iv was in. As I searched for my husbands face and held his hand I was told they were going ton push a drug that would cause my heart rate to beat normally. My heart was still pounding 180-210 per minute, and was extremely irregular. My chest was beginning to ache from my heart working so hard. "This is going to feel really weird" they told me, as I grasped Josh's hand so tightly and stared into his eyes. And with that they pushed this medicine that made my veins feel greasy, made my heart f

Patience is a Virtue

Patience. There's a certain patience that is required in being a woman. Its a lesson that I've been learning for a while now. First, the patience was knowing who I wanted to marry, and having to wait for said person to get ready to marry me. It only took eight years**.... but still. So there were many many nights of tears, wondering why. That story is far too long and we won't go into it now. I'd rather talk about other issues of patience, but I did want to let you know that, yes, patience is something that I've struggled with... at least since I was 15, if not my whole life. So then you get engaged, and then you have to wait for the big day. The wedding day. Then you're married. And everything is lovely. You are learning how to be a wife. How to meal plan. How to manage to keep the whole house/apartment clean. How to budget. How to do all these things and still hold down a grown-up job. And then it hits you. Because there is always something else.