Skip to main content

This Family Went to Church on Sunday... and You Won't Believe What Happened Next

"... the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Matthew 20:28
"Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, 'Anyone who wants to be first must be the very last, and the servant of all.'" Mark 9:35

I've been reading through the gospels lately... I started with Luke.. then went to Matthew, and when I finished Matthew I felt as if I had just finished a really amazing novel and was sad to see it come to an end... so I started reading Mark.

One of the things that has truly struck me in these last few months of studying the gospels, is the necessity... well... really the mandate for which we are called to serve the body of Christ. Today the Lord was teaching me about what it means to truly honour and to serve our parents, which is another blog post all together... But today I want to write about what I've learned about our relationship with the church, our eternal family... And how to honour and serve God, our Father... and the church...

The wise John Calvin once said:

"To those to whom he is a Father, the Church must also be a mother. This was true not merely under the Law, but even now after the advent of Christ; since Paul declares that we are the children of a new, even a heavenly Jerusalem." --John Calvin, The Institutes of the Christian Religion


"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching." Hebrews 10:24-25

First of all... being a part of an actual church body is super important. My pastor, Reverend Jon Vickery, has often said that as Christians we need to addict ourselves to the church, addict ourselves to being with other believers, etc. We need to feel compelled and the weight of how important it is to give God the honour and worship He is due, by being at church to worship God. But we also need to feel the weight of how important it is to serve within the church body.

When the disciples started muttering and questioning which one of them is the greatest... Jesus told them, "The first will be last, and the last shall be first." For all of my years in the church, I felt that statement was a little vague... It's so like Jesus to talk in parable and in little thought provoking sentences... and so like him to talk in a way that if you don't care to think it over, you will miss the point all together. It may have been obvious to you, but Jesus wanted his disciples to know that serving others was the most important thing to do in the kingdom.

I have grown up in the church... I've seen the ugly parts... the underbelly (if you will) of church politics.... and in every single situation where these ugly situations occur, it is when people have forgotten what their duty is to the church... to their pastors... to one another.

When we want to be seen as important in the church, when we want to be heard... that is the first sign we are headed for disaster... And we actually ALL have the ability to take part in destroying a church body...






White space... so that you feel the weight of your part in THE church.




So, if you want to be a part of a healthy church body... it has to begin with you. It has to begin with you serving your church... serving others within your church body.

When we view the church as a place that we go to on Sunday mornings to be fed... we are missing the entirety of the point of "the gathering together of believers". The point is to encourage one another... to serve one another... to worship God. And to worship God requires sacrifice.

We must sacrifice our time.
We must sacrifice our need to be fed.
We must serve and feed others.

Worshipping God doesn't always look like learning something new about God, or feeling refreshed. Worshipping God demands sacrifice (of time and money), and sometimes that looks like taking a turn in the nursery... or holding a mother's baby so that the new mom can listen to a sermon for once... or sacrificing extra hours on Sunday to make sure things are cleaned up... or baking something so that people can spend time with one another over a cup of coffee and a lovely piece of coffee cake.

Serving the church may mean sacrificing an evening once a week to spend time with other people's teenagers and teach them about who God is.

Serving the church may mean sacrificing an evening once a week to teach someone else's young children about who their God is.

The church should look like that village we always hear so much about... "It takes a village to raise a child." It should be families partnering with families, so that our kids can grow up knowing that the body of Christ is their true family... and that the church is our home.. and where we belong.

I want my kids to grow up knowing that the most important thing in our life is "the church" and serving "the church". Our gaze should be on eternity... heaven, the new heavens and the new earth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barren Desert

I was standing in a barren desert surrounded with brown sandy nothingness. All I could see for miles was dry earth, sand, and a couple of tumble weeds. The sky was an eerie yellow color with a faint hint of blue. It was a Dali desert. It made me feel queasy. I must have been standing there for a while before she said to me, "This is the place I love to come and remember that I never have to have children. This is my happy place." I turned to see a friend of mine who I've actually only met in person once. She was guiding me through this desert place gently, smiling. I asked how this could possibly be a happy place for her, that it made me feel nothing but anxiety and nausea. She smiled and said, "This is the path I've chosen." Then, I was alone again, wandering through the sandy meadow, quietly aching inside. When I woke up this morning, I could not get that dream out of my head. So rich in symbolism. So... odd. I told a co-worker about it, after I had be

5 Inches From My Tear Streaked Face

I suddenly awoke to my heart beat sky rocketing. It was literally 180-200 beats per minute. I hadn't had a bad dream. I wasn't extra stressed about anything in life. I was 25, 9 months into a brand new marriage, and was living in Houston, Texas surrounded by good art. That morning changed everything. My husband called an ambulance and the paramedics came. I laid on my couch in my living room while they struggled to find a vein to start my IV. Finally, after 5 attempts the iv was in. As I searched for my husbands face and held his hand I was told they were going ton push a drug that would cause my heart rate to beat normally. My heart was still pounding 180-210 per minute, and was extremely irregular. My chest was beginning to ache from my heart working so hard. "This is going to feel really weird" they told me, as I grasped Josh's hand so tightly and stared into his eyes. And with that they pushed this medicine that made my veins feel greasy, made my heart f

Patience is a Virtue

Patience. There's a certain patience that is required in being a woman. Its a lesson that I've been learning for a while now. First, the patience was knowing who I wanted to marry, and having to wait for said person to get ready to marry me. It only took eight years**.... but still. So there were many many nights of tears, wondering why. That story is far too long and we won't go into it now. I'd rather talk about other issues of patience, but I did want to let you know that, yes, patience is something that I've struggled with... at least since I was 15, if not my whole life. So then you get engaged, and then you have to wait for the big day. The wedding day. Then you're married. And everything is lovely. You are learning how to be a wife. How to meal plan. How to manage to keep the whole house/apartment clean. How to budget. How to do all these things and still hold down a grown-up job. And then it hits you. Because there is always something else.