Skip to main content

Saturday Rituals


Edward Weston, Pepper, 1930

Last night I dreamed that I was grocery shopping at "my" Fiesta on Alabama and Dunlavy in the Montrose area of Houston, Texas. I was showing all of my female friends about how awesome Fiesta is for prices. I remember picking up a tin of cocoa powder (of course it had to have something to do with chocolate) and saying, "40 cents. Can't beat that."

Before I moved to Kelowna, I had certain rituals that I did every Saturday. Saturdays were my favorite days because, well, I worked Monday through Friday nine to six every day, and Josh didn't have Saturdays off. Saturday was mine. Saturdays belonged to me and I loved them.

So I would wake up around nine or ten in the morning, head straight to the coffee brewer, where I would make 6 cups of coffee all for myself. Of course, they've always called me the coffee snob, so this coffee was something dark-deep-heavenly like Sumatra (from Starbucks) or Rowanda (from Taft Street Coffee). On a side note I love Indonesian and African coffees... I'm not a fan of South American or Central American coffees. So I would brew my coffee, choose my mug of choice for the day (my love of mugs will be for another blog, another day), pour a little bit of skim milk in the mug and pour my big cup of coffee, and head to the couch where I would watch America's Test Kitchen on PBS, look through my Real Simple Magazine, and go through my cookbooks.

While sitting on that couch, drinking said wonderful coffee, reading tips about how to get an oil stain out of a shirt, I would also compile the menu for the week before me. It would look something like this:

Saturday (today): Indian Tomato Soup and Homemade Biscuits
Sunday: Rosemary Roast Chicken with herbed mashed potatoes and asparagus
Monday: Lunch: Indian Tomato Soup
Dinner: Chicken Spaghetti (made with yesterdays left over chicken)
Tuesday: Lunch: Chicken Sandwich
Dinner: Perogies and Keilbasa
Wednesday: Lunch: Indian Tomato Soup
Dinner: Pretzel Crusted Chicken with Spinach and Goat Cheese Risotto
Thursday: Lunch: Left-over Risotto
Dinner: Chicken Fried Rice
Friday: Lunch: Indian Tomato Soup
Dinner: Homemade Pizza

Then, I would go to my kitchen pantry and fridge and find out what ingredients I had for said weeks sustenance and write my grocery list.

Once Josh got home from work (as we share a car), I would head for the grocery store.

Fiesta had really good quality, cheap produce and other groceries. The produce was not like the produce you'd find at Kroger, or somewhere more posh. You know how when you are shopping for bell peppers at a regular grocery store, all of the bell peppers are basically the same shape and size? Bell peppers don't naturally grow that uniform and pretty. Bell peppers generally are twisty and all different shapes and sizes like Edward Weston's Bell Pepper*. The major grocery chains only buy the pretty uniform peppers, so your idea of what a bell pepper looks like could be perhaps tainted a bit. Also--that is how the major grocery stores can raise the price of the bell pepper. Instead of being what Fiesta would charge (60 cents a piece) for red bell peppers, they can charge you 3.50 because they are only giving you what they consider to be the perfect epitome of the bell pepper.

I must tell you that I love grocery shopping. I love to look at the pretty produce and I love to pick out the exact artichoke that I want, I love to see the people picking out their various groceries and wonder what kind of cooks they are, and I love to wander around and look at the packaging and find the cheapest-best items that I need. Its a bit of a haven for me. Fiesta was a bit dingy as far as its ambiance goes: it was older, a bit darker than you would want a grocery store to be, the floors were markedly old and stained from years of dirt being mashed into the floor by the wheels of the rickety grocery carts, and the fish section of the market smelled, well, like a combination of fish and bleach.... making me never buy fish there.

I realize that the picture I just painted of my favorite place to grocery shop is not what most people would appreciate, but it had marked charm, a strength of character in my eyes. It was part of the highlight of my Saturday ritual. A part of my version of super-womaninity.

*Edward Weston's Bell Pepper

Comments

  1. Someone likes Indian Tomato Soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or--someone makes a big pot of soup every Saturday in which to eat for lunch during the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you recommend a good cookbook for someone who needs a little motivation?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It depends on what you are looking for. I guess I'd recommend something that wasn't too specific (for instance a cookbook on soup or something like that). I have a good cookbook called Every Day Food: Great Food Fast. I really enjoy cookbooks that stress the word fast, since I like to try new foods, but when I'm working there's not a lot of time to make really involved recipes. That is mostly dinner recipes. If you are looking for something more comprehensive, I'd recommend America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. It has any recipe you'd ever want to try to make.

    I love cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I am not a cook, but I must admit I am the same way in a grocery store. I utterly lose track of time when shopping, and have to find the best combination of healthy and cheap in my groceries (big label reader). Love this entry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Britt--in the few conversations we had about grocery shopping, I got the vibe that we had the same appreciation for it. AND you can probably appreciate this entry more than everyone else because that is your grocery store too! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Barren Desert

I was standing in a barren desert surrounded with brown sandy nothingness. All I could see for miles was dry earth, sand, and a couple of tumble weeds. The sky was an eerie yellow color with a faint hint of blue. It was a Dali desert. It made me feel queasy. I must have been standing there for a while before she said to me, "This is the place I love to come and remember that I never have to have children. This is my happy place." I turned to see a friend of mine who I've actually only met in person once. She was guiding me through this desert place gently, smiling. I asked how this could possibly be a happy place for her, that it made me feel nothing but anxiety and nausea. She smiled and said, "This is the path I've chosen." Then, I was alone again, wandering through the sandy meadow, quietly aching inside. When I woke up this morning, I could not get that dream out of my head. So rich in symbolism. So... odd. I told a co-worker about it, after I had be

5 Inches From My Tear Streaked Face

I suddenly awoke to my heart beat sky rocketing. It was literally 180-200 beats per minute. I hadn't had a bad dream. I wasn't extra stressed about anything in life. I was 25, 9 months into a brand new marriage, and was living in Houston, Texas surrounded by good art. That morning changed everything. My husband called an ambulance and the paramedics came. I laid on my couch in my living room while they struggled to find a vein to start my IV. Finally, after 5 attempts the iv was in. As I searched for my husbands face and held his hand I was told they were going ton push a drug that would cause my heart rate to beat normally. My heart was still pounding 180-210 per minute, and was extremely irregular. My chest was beginning to ache from my heart working so hard. "This is going to feel really weird" they told me, as I grasped Josh's hand so tightly and stared into his eyes. And with that they pushed this medicine that made my veins feel greasy, made my heart f

Patience is a Virtue

Patience. There's a certain patience that is required in being a woman. Its a lesson that I've been learning for a while now. First, the patience was knowing who I wanted to marry, and having to wait for said person to get ready to marry me. It only took eight years**.... but still. So there were many many nights of tears, wondering why. That story is far too long and we won't go into it now. I'd rather talk about other issues of patience, but I did want to let you know that, yes, patience is something that I've struggled with... at least since I was 15, if not my whole life. So then you get engaged, and then you have to wait for the big day. The wedding day. Then you're married. And everything is lovely. You are learning how to be a wife. How to meal plan. How to manage to keep the whole house/apartment clean. How to budget. How to do all these things and still hold down a grown-up job. And then it hits you. Because there is always something else.