Skip to main content

Today's Reflection

 "Man's eye is not single, he has ever a side glance towards his own honour, has too high an estimate of his own powers, and so is not qualified to behold the glory of the Lord. It is clear, then, that self must stand out of the way, that there may be room for God to be exalted; and this is the reason why He bringeth His people ofttimes into straits and difficulties, that, being made conscious of their own folly and weakness, they may be fitted to behold the majesty of God when He comes forth to work their deliverance."--Spurgeon

How true it is that we are so prideful that we put ourselves on an equal playing field with the God who created the heavens and the earth. We think we have the power to do so much. Yet we can do so little. Looking back I can see the hand of God moving in such GREAT and majestic ways. 

Last night I read my prayer journal from 2004. This was a really tough time in my life as a young adult, and I was brought so close to God during this time. My family had moved a 3 days journey away from me. I felt I had to break up with my boyfriend at the time, and cling to Jesus. I was considering a move across the continent to be closer to family. In my prayer journal, my prayers are all about calling out to God to make me long for Him and His word. My prayers were for comfort and direction. And all of the scriptures that I read and wrote down from my normal bible readings were filled with the answers to my prayers. In the moment I couldn't see how God was encouraging me, and literally speaking to me through His word, but looking back I see just how amazingly close he was.

"They who navigate little streams and shallow creeks, know but little of the God of tempests; but they who "do business in great waters," these see His "wonders in the deep." Among the huge Atlantic-waves of bereavement, poverty, temptation, and reproach, we learn the power of Jehovah, because we feel the littleness of man. Thank God, then, if you have been led by a rough road: it is this which has given you your experience of God's greatness and lovingkindness. Your troubles have enriched you with a wealth of knowledge to be gained by no other means: your trials have been the cleft of the rock in which Jehovah has set you, as He did His servant Moses, that you might behold His glory as it passed by. Praise God that you have not been left to the darkness and ignorance which continued prosperity might have involved, but that in the great fight of affliction, you have been capacitated for the outshinings of His glory in His wonderful dealings with you."--Spurgeon

Throughout life I have oft been tossed in the great waters of the tempest. Tossed to-and-fro by the waves of Satan trying to destroy my family's life when my dad was in ministry. 11 schools in 13 years. Ten cross country moves to restart life all over again by the time I was 15. But through the storm we were protected. All six of us kept for Him. Held safe by the saviors hand. Kept for His glory to live to tell the story of His awesome goodness and greatness. 

Tossed to-and-fro by Satan's attacks of anxiety, and health concerns. But KEPT SAFE by the Restorers hand of healing and mercy. 

My Jesus has the power to keep His children safe in the palm of His hand. He who spoke and mountains were formed, who spoke and with His words the galaxies and milky way and stars and black holes and suns were created, who breathed and gave life to man. This God. He is my God, and He strengthens me. He upholds me. He keeps me safe. And not a hair can fall from my head apart from His will.

I praise you Jehovah. My God. My rock. You are good, and in You there is no darkness at all. Thank you for showing me your wonders. In you I continually trust.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barren Desert

I was standing in a barren desert surrounded with brown sandy nothingness. All I could see for miles was dry earth, sand, and a couple of tumble weeds. The sky was an eerie yellow color with a faint hint of blue. It was a Dali desert. It made me feel queasy. I must have been standing there for a while before she said to me, "This is the place I love to come and remember that I never have to have children. This is my happy place." I turned to see a friend of mine who I've actually only met in person once. She was guiding me through this desert place gently, smiling. I asked how this could possibly be a happy place for her, that it made me feel nothing but anxiety and nausea. She smiled and said, "This is the path I've chosen." Then, I was alone again, wandering through the sandy meadow, quietly aching inside. When I woke up this morning, I could not get that dream out of my head. So rich in symbolism. So... odd. I told a co-worker about it, after I had be

5 Inches From My Tear Streaked Face

I suddenly awoke to my heart beat sky rocketing. It was literally 180-200 beats per minute. I hadn't had a bad dream. I wasn't extra stressed about anything in life. I was 25, 9 months into a brand new marriage, and was living in Houston, Texas surrounded by good art. That morning changed everything. My husband called an ambulance and the paramedics came. I laid on my couch in my living room while they struggled to find a vein to start my IV. Finally, after 5 attempts the iv was in. As I searched for my husbands face and held his hand I was told they were going ton push a drug that would cause my heart rate to beat normally. My heart was still pounding 180-210 per minute, and was extremely irregular. My chest was beginning to ache from my heart working so hard. "This is going to feel really weird" they told me, as I grasped Josh's hand so tightly and stared into his eyes. And with that they pushed this medicine that made my veins feel greasy, made my heart f

Patience is a Virtue

Patience. There's a certain patience that is required in being a woman. Its a lesson that I've been learning for a while now. First, the patience was knowing who I wanted to marry, and having to wait for said person to get ready to marry me. It only took eight years**.... but still. So there were many many nights of tears, wondering why. That story is far too long and we won't go into it now. I'd rather talk about other issues of patience, but I did want to let you know that, yes, patience is something that I've struggled with... at least since I was 15, if not my whole life. So then you get engaged, and then you have to wait for the big day. The wedding day. Then you're married. And everything is lovely. You are learning how to be a wife. How to meal plan. How to manage to keep the whole house/apartment clean. How to budget. How to do all these things and still hold down a grown-up job. And then it hits you. Because there is always something else.